Coolidge Cup Online Entry Option
The Coolidge Foundation is pleased to make available an online entry option for the 2017 Coolidge Cup. Students interested in competing in the online tournament should record a five-minute video of either an opening affirmative or negative statement for the resolution: “A significant tariff on imported goods from Mexico is a good policy for the U.S. economy.” Students should upload their video to YouTube, then fill out the online submission form on this page. You must be 13 years of age or older to participate in this competition.
DEADLINE: Monday, May 15, 2017
- Props may not be used, nor can videos be edited in a way that unfairly enhances them (i.e., music, pictures, etc…).
- Videos should not exceed 5:00 minutes, no exceptions.
- Title of the video should include your name and your position on the resolution (affirmative or negative).
- Inappropriate language that would make your video unsuitable for general audiences will disqualify your entry.
- Contestants may not wear awards or medals from previous competitions.
Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
– Clearly articulated opinion in response to the Competition Resolution
– A compelling argument that his or her audience can relate to
– Use of data contained in the brief, which can be found by CLICKING HERE.
- Speaking Skills
– Student’s volume, pitch, rate of pronunciation, and articulation
– Use of eye contact, facial expressions, gesturing, posture
– Structuring of speech appropriately with an introduction, body, and conclusion
The top four placers from the online competition will earn the right to compete in the Coolidge Cup Championship Tournament taking place July 3-4, 2017 in President Coolidge’s historic village, the picturesque town of Plymouth Notch, Vermont. Qualifiers earn a free trip to Vermont to compete. More than $10,000 in scholarships and prizes will be awarded to the winners of the 2017 Coolidge Cup.
Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are aged 13 years to 18 years who have received permission in writing from a parent or legal guardian. All students are required to upload a signed Media Release along with their entry. The Media Release can be found by CLICKING HERE.