Will you choose to run? Join us on Saturday, October 1st, 2022, in scenic Plymouth Notch for the 4th Annual Coolidge 5K! Non-runners are invited to participate in the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk, which takes place immediately after the race.
Runners will explore the delightful grounds and surrounding areas of the historic Coolidge homestead. Except for roughly the first and last 50 meters, which are over grass, the new course is almost entirely on road (pavement and packed dirt). The course features gently rolling hills and begins and ends at the same place. The event will be professionally timed. T-shirts are guaranteed for those who pre-register by September 14th; thereafter, t-shirts are available while supplies last.
Runners and non-runners alike are invited to take part in the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk, so named for Coolidge’s famous and characteristically concise declaration about his intention not to seek re-election for president in 1928. The walk, which begins after the 5K race, will also cover key sights around the historic grounds.
After the race, stick around as we award prizes for top finishers ($100 cash prizes for top male finisher and top female finisher) as well as prizes for each age group.
The run and the walk are part of a fun, family-friendly day at the President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site. Come and partake in the run, the walk, or both events! Also taking place at the site on Saturday is the Plymouth Notch Antique Apple Fest, which features activities for the entire family: cider pressing, vintage apple tastings, wagon rides, historic farm & craft demonstrations, cheese making, and more!
Details at a Glance
- Date: Saturday, October 1st, 2022
- Start time for the Coolidge 5K: 10am
- Start time for the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk: Roughly 11am (after the 5K is finished)
- Location: President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site, 3780 Route 100A, Plymouth, VT 05056
- Cost: $20 for adults, FREE for kids under 18
- 5k Course Map: Coolidge 5K Course Map
- 1-Mile Walk Course Map: I Do Not Choose to Run 1-Mile Walk Course Map
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I register on the day of the race? Registering in advance is preferred, but yes, race-day registration is also available if you just want to show up and register on the spot. Please arrive at least a half hour before the race in order to ensure plenty of time to get you registered and to give you a bib.
- Will my GPS watch work out there? Yes, your GPS watch should work. In fact, you will probably get a signal quite quickly. Your phone, however, may not get cellular service, so be aware of that. There is Wi-Fi for when you are inside or close to the visitors’ center.
- Is this a fast course or a slow course? This is a somewhat hilly and slow course. After a flat 75m start along the grass and a quick 100m descent down the driveway, the course levels out for a flat 500m curve along Route 100A. Two quarter-mile climbs bring you to the highest point on the course at around the 1.3 mile mark. From there, it is moderately downhill until about 2.2. The course is then flat to gently rising until 2.9. The course closes with a fast 200m downhill, followed by a 100m up the driveway, and a flat final 75m on grass.
- Is this course stroller-friendly? The course is somewhat stroller-friendly if you have a jogging stroller, but not very stroller-friendly if you have a regular stroller. The course features multiple surface types, including grass, pavement, and dirt/gravel. For safety, we ask that runners with strollers begin at the back of the pack and only move up after about the first mile when runners have spread out.
- Is there a water stop? Yes, there is one water stop on the course.
- Are there restrooms onsite? Yes, please use the restrooms in the lower part of the Wilder Barn, which is located next to welcome center. There are no porta-potties along the course.
- Can I run with my pet? Are pets allowed at the historic site? Yes, you may run with your pet, provided that your pet is on a leash. We prefer that you start at the back of the group and then make your way past slower runners out on the course after the group starts to spread out. At the historic site, pets are permitted on the grounds if on a leash. Pets are not permitted in the buildings except for Service Dogs. Of course, please pick up after your pet.
If you have any questions or would like to volunteer, contact race chairman Jared Rhoads (email@example.com).
Businesses and organizations: would you like to be part of this special event? We have many exciting Sponsorship Opportunities for you!
- Male course record: Kyle Morrison (2019) 18:11
- Female course record: Sara Vannah (2019) 22:00
Past Results and Photos
To register online, use the form below. To register on race day, please arrive no later than 9:30 AM and go straight to the registration table. To expedite the payment process, please bring cash or check made payable to the Calvin Coolidge Presidential Foundation.