Will you choose to run? Join us on Saturday, October 2nd, 2021, in scenic Plymouth Notch for the 3rd Annual Coolidge 5K! Non-runners are invited to participate in the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk, which takes place immediately after the race.
Runners will explore the delightful grounds and surrounding areas of the historic Coolidge homestead. Except for roughly the first and last 50 meters, which are over grass, the new course is almost entirely on road (pavement and packed gravel). The course features gently rolling hills and begins and ends at the same place. The event will be professionally timed. T-shirts are guaranteed for those who pre-register by September 15th; thereafter, t-shirts are available while supplies last.
Non-runners are invited take part in the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk, so named for Coolidge’s famous and characteristically concise declaration about his intention not to seek re-election for president in 1928. The walk, which begins after the 5K race, will also cover key sights around the historic grounds.
After the race, stick around as we will award prizes for top finishers ($100 cash prizes for top male finisher and top female finisher) as well as prizes for each age group.
The run and the walk are part of a fun, family-friendly day at the President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site. Come and partake in one or both events! Also taking place at the site on Saturday is the Plymouth Notch Antique Apple Fest, which features a variety of seasonal festivities.
With Special Thanks to Our Sponsors
The Coolidge Foundation would like to extend special thank you to Tracie and Tim Chinaris for their support of this event.
Details at a Glance
- Date: Saturday, October 2nd, 2021
- Start time for the Coolidge 5K: 10am
- Start time for the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk: About 11am (after the 5K is finished)
- Location: Coolidge Foundation and Historic Site, 3780 Route 100A, Plymouth, VT 05056
- Cost: $20 for adults, FREE for kids under 18
- 5k Course Map: Coolidge 5K Course Map
- 1-Mile Walk Course Map: I Do Not Choose to Run 1-Mile Walk Course Map
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I register on the day of the race? Registering in advance is preferred, but yes, race-day race registration is also available if you just want to show up and register on the spot. Please arrive at least a half hour before the race in order to ensure plenty of time.
- Will my GPS watch work out there? Yes, your GPS watch should work. In fact, you will probably get a signal quite quickly. Your phone, however, may not get cellular service, so be aware of that. There is Wi-Fi for when you are inside or close to the visitor center.
- Is this a fast course or a slow course? The new course is slightly faster than the hilly course originally used in 2018. After a flat 75m start along the grass and a quick 100m descent down the driveway, the course levels out for a flat 500m curve along Route 100A. Two quarter-mile climbs bring you to the highest point in the course at around the 1.3 mile mark. From there, it is moderately downhill until about 2.2. The course is then flat to gently rising until 2.9. The course closes with a fast 200m downhill, followed by a 100m up the driveway, and a flat final 75m.
- Is this course stroller-friendly? The course is somewhat stroller-friendly, if you have a jogging stroller. The course features multiple surface types, including grass, pavement, and dirt/gravel. For safety, we ask that runners with strollers begin at the back of the pack and only move up after about the first mile when runners have spread out.
- Is there a water stop? Yes, there is one water stop on the course.
- Are there restrooms onsite? Yes, please use the restrooms in the lower part of the barn that is located next to welcome center. There are no porta-potties along the course.
- Are pets allowed at the historic site? At the historic site, pets are allowed outdoors with a leash. Please do not bring your pet inside any of the buildings.
If you have any questions or would like to volunteer, contact race chairman Jared Rhoads (email@example.com).
Businesses and organizations: would you like to be part of this special event? We have many exciting Sponsorship Opportunities for you!
- Male course record: Kyle Morrison (2019) 18:11
- Female course record: Sara Vannah (2019) 22:00
Past Results and Photos
As of September 28 at 10am, pre-race online registration is now closed–but that does not mean that you can’t still come and run or walk! It just means that we will need you to register on paper on the morning of the race.
To register on race day, please arrive at least a half hour before the race and go straight to the registration table. To expedite the payment process, please bring cash or check made payable to the Calvin Coolidge Presidential Foundation.
We look forward to seeing you there!